Asylum Arts Retreat, Garrison New York

In December 2018, I attended the Asylum Arts retreat: a 4 day retreat for 65 multidisciplinary Jewish artists from all over the world (check out the Asylum map to see where we all come from and what our disciplines are: http://www.asylum-arts.org/artists). The retreat was held at the Garrison Institute in upstate New York on the icy banks of the Hudson River. Since my return to the daily grind of Jo’burg, I have had time to think about why the experience was such a re“treat”.

For a start, "A Bis'l Libe" got a boost. We were divided into 4 groups and each had 5 minutes to present our work. After performing a small snippet, just one story and an abbreviated Yiddish song, I received constructive feedback and the input has continued post the retreat. Thank you to everyone who has guided me in some way, all with such generosity and kindness. I was also blown away by the other artists’ from my group and completely inspired. Some worth looking at include Shay Arick (shayarick.com), Giuliana Kiersz (guilianakiersz.com), Tunni Kraus (tunni.com.au), Maya Magnat (mayamagnat.com), Ella Joy Meir (ellajoymeir.com) Daniel Terna, (danielterna.com).  

Next, there were sessions on offer, led by both industry professionals and fellow emerging artists. These encouraged more thinking about my creative practice and gave me some new valuable tools. I am thinking more about my role as a female Jewish South African artist. I am thinking about the valuable relationships I have with Jewish cultural organisations here in SA; these must be nurtured. I am going to focus on upping my social media presence. I am going to stick to the goals I set for the new year. I am going to think of new ways to engage the viewer. I am feeling more positive about a newly formed community project for Jewish cultural practitioners in Johannesburg.

Thank you, thank you to Asylum Arts founder, Rebecca Guber who orchestrated the whole program and led the formal discussions between us.  Sharing my artistic highs and lows together with peers and working through some personal difficulties was very powerful.  But the best part of the retreat was just hanging out with all these wonderful people in an informal setting. Post sessions we’d hang out in the halls and lounges chatting. We connected over wholesome meals, sharing our commonalities and differences. We drank wine and danced with abandon till the wee hours of the morning…two nights in a row. I wasn’t even hungover or tired, it was all so uplifting!

And because of this, my new-found community, I feel more secure. Being a creative is really difficult, even for someone without two small children to provide for physically and emotionally - something the retreat reiterated. But now, with these colleagues and friends to help me, I think I can keep plodding along.


As I look at the photos from the retreat, skilfully captured by photographer Meredith Heuer, I see that I was just in my element. Here are some of pics. 

In the session, Two States of Jewish Culture, led by Ronit Muszkatblit. Meredith Heuer, 2018

Garrison Stitch-Ins, led by artist Denise Lara Margules. Meredith Heuer, 2018

Conversing over lunch with writer Maia Ipp. Meredith Heuer, 2018

Here's to more to come!

Comments

Popular Posts